Blue Siamese Fish Fish Tails: New Fish

Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Fish

        So a while ago, (i.e. two months) in a state of depression (usually how all my crazy projects begin) I decided to finally go ahead an purchase a 75 gallon fish tank and a stand. I was too poor at the time to afford anything else, so I was really only teasing myself, BUT in my head this aquarium ... or tank as that was all it was, had the potential to be AMAZING. And my brain was happy with that.
       And because my parents are awesome (and I'm sure a lot had to do with my dad, who as you learned from the first post, was the start of this obsession) they got me pretty much everything I needed to start the tank for Christmas. (Except sand, which is impossible to find apparently, but I got that on my own) And I had a nice tank all set up (still a little sand dusty) and planted about a week and a half ago.

      Now I let this tank cycle for a couple days and clear up, but it gets to the point where you really need to get some fish in there to help start the beneficial bacteria to growing. So I did some research to find some fish that were hardy enough to withstand initial set up. (I only had a few that are hardy enough, not really enough to start the cycle in a 75 gallon). So I went out and picked up some black neon tetras.
      Black neons are a shoaling fish. This is not to be confused with schooling (which they also do but not all the time). Basically a shoaling fish will stick with a group when it feels like it or when it's scared, otherwise it'll swim wherever it wants... a schooling fish rarely breaks from the school... though shoaling fish can form a school.

<- Shoaling

                                             







                                                            -> schooling  





Anyway, I don't really know why you needed to know that, except that this is a blog about fish, anyway, moving on.

I let the tank cycle with six of the neons and my Pleco... because he was quickly outgrowing the other tank, and he's also a hardy fish, so I figured it was for the best. You'd be surprised how hard it is to transport a 4" fish a foot and a half to a bigger tank (and find a large enough transport tank that still allows for easy switching). Oh, and P.S. Pleco's feel weird. I mean not weird, just not what I was expecting. like... more like  a crab shell than fishy scales... just my opinion.

Anyway, I let them swim about and create bacteria for two days, then I decided (after checking water conditions) to add my danios. namely two glofish and a golden danio. I HAD three glofish, but one got sick unfortunately and didn't make it, and I opted to wait until they were transferred to replace him...
     So I moved the three fish into the tank (after about 45 minutes of trying to catch the little buggers) and they basically sat in a corner and did nothing... which I thought, well, big new tank, maybe they just have to get used to it... An hour and a half later... still no change.

Well... technically danios are shoaling/schooling fish as well... so really, three is not enough for them to feel comfortable... so it was time to get them a bigger family.

            The closest pet stores are 20 minutes away, so I made the long trek to the place I usually go... the parking lot was a battle in and of itself with all the snow and slush on the ground, and I worried about getting the fish back without dropping them (I am not the most graceful being ever.) but I needn't have worried as they had about five million orange glofish, only a couple red, and no green... no good, I need them all. AND they only had long-finned zebra danios, also a no go, here's a short reason why.
           Danios are fin nipping fish. In larger groups it's not so much a problem, and amongst short finned ones, also not something to worry too much about unless you start seeing ragged fins, but you throw in a long finned amongst the others, and it's like they all gang up on the fish... I haven't decided yet if it's a jealousy issue, or a like... fish ADD thing? but it happens.


 
So anyway, I drove another 30 minutes out of my way to check another store... and they had all the colors I wanted. And only two orange glofish. So I found someone to get me the fish before anyone else could claim them. two orange, one red, one green, and one zebra danio. Now I'd have a school of 8 (glofish are just genetically altered zebra danios, so they do school together, I may discus this more later).


About five minutes after introducing them to the tank, all my danios started swimming about and exploring, retreating to their group every once and a while before venturing out again. So they really did just want that safety in numbers.

Now that that's all set, I'll give a couple days for the filter to adjust to the added fish load and then hopefully add in the rest of my tetras and algea eaters. My cory cats go in last, as they are scaleless and not as hardy. (funny how they're the reason I got the sand substrate and yet the last fish I actually add).
        For now, I get to watch my little shoal schools explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment